Friday, October 1, 2010

Six Ways to Improve Your Dog's Kibble




If I had the time and the freezer space, I would cook for my dogs every day, or rather, not cook since I believe in the health benefits of raw food for dogs. What passes as cooking for dogs at my house involves my Vitamix blender (don't even get me started on how euphoric this kitchen tool makes me), mixed veggies, ground meat, a tea kettle and various and sundry supplements. But it takes time I don't alway have, so like most dogs, my darlings get kibble. Premium kibble, mind you. Gently processed kibble with all the right ingredients. But kibble, nevertheless, most days, because convenience is convenient, after all.

So as I was feeding the carnivores this evening, I was thinking about easy ways to make to make their food more nutritious, and here is what I suggest.
  1. Add raw meat or organ meat. Mix in ground meat or even a bit of commercially prepared raw food. I use Green Earth Pet Food because it is balanced and the dogs LOVE the taste, besides which, it is produced locally and is organic.
  2. Add digestive enzymes or probiotics. According to the Whole Dog Journal,"this will support the resident microflora that are always present in [your dog's] gut, enhancing digestion and absorption of nutrients, supporting detoxification and elimination processes, and helping to boost his immune system." Try Naturvet's Digestive Enzymes or Enzymes with Probiotics.
  3. Add salmon oil. Salmon oil is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. These are important for heart health, liver function, and in maintaining liver, skin and joint integrity. These essential fatty acids degrade quickly and may no longer be present in even the best commercial dog food. Try Plato's Wild Alaska Salmon Oil.
  4. Add yogurt or cottage cheese or egg. Extra protein is a healthy dog's best friend. Lightly scramble the egg or add it raw, or throw in a can of tuna or some organic chicken livers.
  5. Add chopped or minced vegetables or fruit. Full of antioxidants and vitamins, raw or lightly cooked vegetables boost the overall nutritional value of your dog's meal. Throw in a handful of thawed frozen blueberries, chopped apple, peas. Canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) is great for dogs with upset stomachs, but is also one of nature's power foods, so I add a tablespoon whether the dogs have problems or not.
  6. Add canned food. Choose a grain-free brand like Nature's Variety Instinct or Canine Caviar to give your dog extra protein and to alleviate boredom. Rotate your canned foods, too, since variety leads to more well-rounded nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment